Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Color Fields by Leada Wood, Contemporary Artist Of Texas



I have been exploring color fields...doing series of them...lots and lots of them. I thought I would show you some of the more successful ones. As color field suggests, the color is the dominant element of the painting. It is the subject of the painting. You don't have to "get it" just enjoy the colors! It's all about the impact of color on your senses and emotions. So relax and enjoy the colors.
 
 
 
I used a triad of three colors. A green, red and yellow.
 
 
In this one I did a series exploring the triad of orange, gold and green.
 
 
 

Same triad as above. Love these warm, earthy, autumn colors!
 
 
 
 
I explored the triad of three different greens. A light, medium and dark.
 
 
 
 
Had to shake thing up a bit and get some brighter colors. This triad is red, magenta and orange.
 
 
 
Still enjoying those brights! This triad is two shades of violet and lime green.  I hope you enjoyed seeing what I have been up to. I know what you are thinking that anybody can just lay down color...go ahead...I dare you! I always thought that until I tried it...much harder than you think! At least to do it right. Some people spend their whole lives just doing color fields...exploring color. WOW! Imagine that. Mark Rothko was one of the masters of color fields. I will leave you with a quote from his book The Artist's Reality: Philosophies of Art, page 80:

"...abstract art does not employ subject matter that is obvious as either the anecdote or familiar objects, yet it must appeal to our experience in some way. Instead of appealing to our sense of the familiar, it simply functions in another category."
                                                                                         Mark Rothko

Hope you enjoyed seeing some of my color field explorations. Thanks for dropping by!
                                                              

1 comment:

Dee Doyle said...

Laeda, These are wonderful! You certainly do get bold and daring! What medium and supports are you using? What a great exercise!