Thursday, November 17, 2016

Value Sketches, Color Studies, Watercolor Graphite, by Leada Wood,Texas Artist





"Lilli" by Leada Wood ©2016

I recently attended a watercolor figure workshop with Peggi Habets. She is an amazing instructor and artist. Peggi says to achieve a likeness in a painting, the values have to be accurate and that is the tricky part. The values are perceived in relationship to the other values surrounding it. Very difficult to take a piece of white paper and sculpt it into a 3D representation of a person. We did thumbnails sketches, value studies and color studies before we ever started our subject. It was interesting and a little addictive.

The top painting was my first attempt, next is my value sketch, and color study. I still haven't captured my subject to my satisifaction but I can see growth along the way. After I got home I wanted to try something new. The bottom value sketch was done with watercolor graphite and was really a learning curve to sketch with a brush. One of the things I learned along the way is that I need to use watercolor paper instead of drawing paper. I think I will try the water soluble graphite on hot pressed paper next time.
The class stirred up memories of why I wanted to paint when I first began. I always loved Mary Cassatt, Norman Rockwell and John Singer Sargent's work. The way they captured a likeness of everyday life and recorded it. I know I have a long way to go but the fun is in the trying.

No comments: