Saturday, May 13, 2017

"Holi Elephant" By Leada Wood, Texas Artist



I have been watching a series called Indian Summer and the beginning of every show begins with colored powders being tossed into the air. Indians celebrate  a Holi festival throwing perfumed, colored powder into the air and everyone and anything is fair game. The powders signify the coming of spring and the new colors it brings to nature.

All the vivid colors excites my senses and of course I had to try it with paint! Yes there has been some paint slinging going on in the studio lately and maybe more to come.


"Holi Elephant" ©2017 Leada Wood


In my minds eye I could see an elephant emerging through the brilliant colors so that is what I portrayed onto the canvas.  My mom collected elephants and I have a fond attachment to the amusing creatures myself. In the Hindu way of thought, the elephant symbolizes fortune, protection and is a blessing upon all new projects. They are also known for their strength, honor, stability and focus on family.  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: