Saturday, March 3, 2018

Beginnings, Mixed Media, By Leada Wood, Texas Artist


Beginnings ©2018 Leada Wood


Beginnings are easy, it's the endings that are difficult as you can see from the photo. It is especially true when working with mixed media in a series. Since there is a lot of drying time inbetween, I like to have a lot of beginnings so I can keep working. Mixed Media has lots of layers and you must push and pull those layers with paint until you are satisfied. That's what makes it so intriguing and fun! For me it's all about the process and experimental,  and the adventure always awaits.



Beginnings ©2018 Leada Wood


This is a peek at my paint table. I have two other tables and a wall of shelves with supplies around me when I am working. Mixed Media takes a little more room when working in a series, or at least for me it does. Love seeing all my pretty paint colors while I am working. 




Printed papers ©2018 Leada Wood


This is one container of collage materials that I have made. I use to make papers in every color and still do with my Gelli plate but find I use black collage more and more as it goes with everything. Kind of like that little black dress in your closet. These are hand printed papers and that is another days work.




Background painting ©2018 Leada Wood


Do you see what I see? Might not look like much yet but there are about seven layers on this beginning right now, and I do manipulate the paint by drippage, spritzing alcohol and splattering. I like to keep it transparent while building up the backgrounds, at least most of the time. There are no rules when experimenting with mixed media.  I work in a series of 6-12 substrates at a time creating backgrounds so that when I am ready to develop the painting I have many to choose from and can add more layers.That's the fun about Mixed Media, you never know what you are going to get, kind of like a box of chocolates.

I Hope you enjoyed a peek into my process and studio. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: