Monday, July 9, 2012

"Stella" by Leada Wood, Artist Of Texas, Torn Paper Collage


Stella by Leada Wood©

This was a very special commission for a doctor for her intern, as a thank you for staying with her after her internship. It is always a little unnerving to do a portrait, whether it  be of a person or animal. We all hold such high expectations thanks in part to modern photography.  A painting is not a photograph no matter what the medium. The artist tries to capture the essence of the subject, to show a little of its soul.
 
I was a little nervous when I unveiled the above painting of Stella to her master, you never know how folks will react. Not to worry! Hilliary jumped up and down clapping her hands shouting that's my Stella! She then began to examine it more and tears welled up in her eyes and she gave me a big hug and told me she loved it!

 Now that made my day and all the time ripping and shredding paper and looking for just the right papers worth while. Torn paper collage is more of a challenge than just painting a picture as you use words, texture, symbolism and all manner of found papers to bring your subject to completion, kind of like a puzzle.

No comments: