Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Love Is...by Leada Wood, Texas Artist

I am  currently working on a series entitled  Love Is. It is very difficult to put your thoughts on the canvas without making the theme appear too valentinish ( is that a word?) or girlish...to make it seem like art! Since it is Valentine day....almost....I thought I would just get it out of my system! The thing every girl associates with Valentines day is hearts and flowers...symbols of love, right? I received my new gardening catalog and since it has been soooo cold I decided I would make a collage out of flowers to brighten the dreary winter days. I used symbols for love in this 12x12 collage on canvas. Flowers and hearts are both symbols for love. The color red symbolizes passion, excitement, and happiness. The color pink is romantic and  can represent compassion, unconditional love, understanding, and nurturing . Purple is a royal color and can symbolize mystery, creativity, and spirituality. White is the color of perfection, purity, innocence or completion.  The spiral is a very feminine symbol and can represent balance, awareness, the act of creating, or intuition. A lot of meaning in this little collage...all with references toward love... real love...not infatuation  I did not research the meanings before I began the collage but only as I was writing this post. Maybe some of this I just knew from previous explorations or maybe it was just intuitive.

 Whatever rhyme or reason it was fun to create and I am using it to wish you a happy Valentines Day filled with lots of love and hopefully a little romance!


                                               


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preservers. Love never fails.     
   1 Corinthians 13:4-8

No comments: