Saturday, November 15, 2014

Best Of Show, by Leada Wood, Contemporary Texas Artist




Today was the West Texas Art Guild's annual Regional Big Country art show and I was thrilled beyond measure when I found out I won Best of Show. 

The painting Sunflower 2 is a batik on Unryu paper which is a little bit thicker than tissue paper. I draw the subject on the paper with sharpie pen and then save the parts I want to be light or white with wax. Proceeding on with either watercolor or liquid acrylics I complete the painting and coat the entire painting with wax, let it dry and crumple it up in a ball. If the painting survives this I flatten it and push paint down into the crevices. Then it is wax off and I remove the wax. It is quite an involved process and a risky technique...but isn't that what making art is all about...taking chances?


No comments: