Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Catclaw by Leada Wood, Texas Artist


Catclaws have always intrigued me. My Grandmother was very creative and she made Texas cowboy mosquitoes out of them. I still have one that she made. Although she has been gone many years, the sight of a catclaw brings back memories of her and her creations. 

I am taking a class with Jane LaFazio this week in Sketchbook Skool and we are doing grids and composition. I decided to do the life cycle of a catclaw in ink and watercolor and it is 7x10.





This was my set up so that you can see the actual catclaw. The bloom reminds me of a small orchid and has a very heady smell. I can smell them on the wind sometime and the bees love them. They say catclaw honey is very tasty. The pod when it ripens splits into and then falls off and the catclaw is left to dry.




This is what my Grandmother made out of Catclaws and sold many of them.  Texas Catclaw Cowboys.   I guess she was ahead of her time in recycling things. She also made beautiful little rocking chairs, very ornate from cans. Grandmother could make anything!



Have a great week!



No comments: