Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Drawing With Graphite, Dog Portraits, by Leada Wood, Texas Artist




"Huckleberry Hound" by Leada Wood©2017

This is the second dog in my series "Drawing Dogs With Graphite". I am not sure which is more difficult to draw...the long haired  variety or short haired. There are also a lot of angles in their faces that catch the light and make it a challenge to capture. I start by sketching in the figure and go immediately to the eyes and develop them. I feel that the eyes are what bring life into the drawing and if I can't get those correct the rest doesn't matter so I begin again. I endeavor to capture the personality of the pup.

 We had a Dachshund when our children were small. His name was Huckleberry Hound and he loved to hunt rabbits here on the farm. One day we could hear him barking and investigated and found him stuck in an irrigation pipe. He had followed a rabbit I suppose and we had to rescue him. He never did that again. Our daughter loved to put him in the basket on the front of her tricycle and drive him around. He was such a good dog and enjoyed playing with the kids. We loved our Huckleberry!

No comments: