Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Treasures by Leada Wood, Texas Artist





Artists are a little different...what others call trash we call treasures! My good friend Penny knew I had been looking for old handwritten letters and documents and ledgers to use in my collage work. She's an artist too so she gets me. When she heard on the radio that our local library was giving away old documents she called me up to see if I would be interested. Silly, silly, silly...of course I was interested! 







I spent the afternoon going through boxes of ancient papers, some went as far back as the 1800s. The librarian was ecstatic that I was interested and even helped me load my suv. It was a win-win for both of us.




This is part of the back room that I went through. There are still a lot of documents that should probably be in our county museum. The librarian said that they had been contacted and nobody came to go through it. Maybe I can preserve a little of the history by using the pages in my collages. The pages are old and yellowed, a nice patina,  just like I like them, but some are becoming brittle. I use archival glues and sealers in my work so maybe they will stay around a little longer, at the very most I have saved them from the dumpster for a while.




No comments: