Friday, January 10, 2014

Beach Bum by Leada Wood, Texas Artist

Day 10 of Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge. Woohoo! I am 1/3 of the way done with this challenge. I started to name this painting Feeling Crabby...but painting brings me such joy I couldn't do it. I know I am very fortunate to work at something I love to do and have the ability to do it.

The crab painting comes with a story...no extra charge.  When our kids were at home we took them to the beach every summer on vacation. We  all like the beach and doing beachy things. One day we decided we would go crabbing. We get the chicken necks, string, nets and hit the beach. Oh my the crabbing was great! We had a big cooler full of crabs but we started noticing they had a funny orangey spongy under bellies . Not knowing anything about crabs we decided that was the way they were suppose to look. A nice man walking on the beach came by and started talking to us so my husband shows him our big haul of crabs. The man said we had several thousand dollars worth of crabs! Come to find out the spongy under bellies were eggs and we had a whole mess of female crabs and it was illegal to catch them when they had eggs. We quickly let the critters go! To this day seeing crabs reminds me of our fun day crabbing on the beach. I especially like the blue crabs and the tiny little sand crabs that skittle quickly across the sand. Aww nothing like spending time at the beach!


"Beach Bum" by Leada Wood ©2014


4 comments:

Sheila said...

Great painting and great story!

Leada Wood said...

Thanks Sheila!

Joan Princing Art said...

This little Beach Bum is SO cute. The colors are amazing.

What a wonderful story! Good thing that man on the beach told you about your catch being illegal...otherwise you would have ended up in the poky! :)

Have a great weekend and good luck with Day #11.

Leada Wood said...

Thanks Joan! Good luck to you too! It's such fun getting so see everybody's work and meet new friends. I just hope I can keep up the momentum! Lol!