Monday, January 6, 2014

"Roadrunner's Gift" by Leada Wood, Texas Artist

Day 6 of Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days. I am still hanging in there. I am not a fast painter and enjoy the process of the painting so this is a real challenge for me! I may learn to paint faster!

I live in Texas and the land around my house is terra cotta clay color, good old red dirt. We live on a small ranch and have llamas, sheep, goats and lots of birds. One particularly fine summer morning I got to noticing sticks at my front door and wondered where they came from. A mystery. The next morning I heard a tapping on the front glass door so I go to investigate. There was the roadrunner with another gift of a stick in his mouth to leave at the door. I don't know if he was thanking me for the cat food and scraps I put out or if he saw himself in the glass and was courting the pretty bird! Anyway he kept it up for a while and I guess he eventually gave up on the pretty bird and moved on. I still have visits from him, he likes to sneak around on the porch and window peek.

That is the story and the inspiration for my painting Roadrunners Gift. I hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for looking!



"Roadrunners Gift" by Leada Wood copyright 2014

4 comments:

SamDoum said...

Oh my gosh! Such a funny story! Your roadrunner is beautiful.

Cindy D. said...

Beautiful bird! The style and color is terrific! Funny story, too. :)

Joan Princing Art said...

This little guy is so sweet! Love how he is on a mission! What a very cute story and I love how you captured it!! Great job.

Leada Wood said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments!