Monday, January 27, 2014

Mandarin Duck, by Leada Wood, Texas Artist

Day 27 of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 days challenge.

Okay just so you know this is like any project  or deadline....it begins to keep me awake. I started last night or I guess you could say early morning since i started this painting 12:30 am. I wanted to do a couple of more for my Chinese New Year series so that when they hang in the gallery they will make a big square.

You might have wondered about my series all having nearly the same background. I collaged Chinese newspaper...for inspiration and then painted the canvas red. I did this day by day not massed produced ahead. The color red in Chinese is a symbol of good fortune, and I happen to like red! After all that has dried I draw my design onto the canvas with a water soluble white pencil. I have used Acrylic paints for my series, kind of like oils but not so toxic.

Boot Man said we have eaten more Chinese food while I was painting this series than we have in our entire lives! Gotta have inspiration!

I thought of doing a plain white duck and naming it Peking duck but as I was surfing free images I ran onto this these Magnificent Mandarin ducks! Painting does take some research and development before the painting begins. Sooo....noooo. No plain white duck for me! All those gorgeous colors just sparked me into action. 

If you grew up in China or Japan, where the Mandarin ducks are wide-spread - you most probably have heard stories about the love and devotion of Mandarin ducks. They mate for life and are considered loyal and devoted to their chosen partner. I knew I liked those ducks!
Thanks for stopping by!


Mandarin Duck by Leada Wood Copyright 2014

No comments: